Quebec launches a COVID-19 vaccine lottery
19 July 2021
The Minister of Health and Social Services, Christian Dubé, accompanied by the Minister of Finance, Eric Girard, today unveiled the details of the “vaccine competition” that will be launched in the coming weeks. This contest will give people vaccinated against COVID-19 the chance to win several important prizes. The total value of the various prizes is $2 million.
Two vaccine contests, one for the adult population and the other for youth aged 12 to 17, will be organized in partnership with Loto-Québec, which will be responsible for the draw and the financing of the prizes.
Adult population :
- From August 1 to August 27, 2021, the vaccine contest will offer a weekly draw of $150,000 in cash prizes among registrants who have received the first dose of vaccine, for a total value of $600,000.
- A $1 million prize drawing will be held on September 3, 2021, among properly vaccinated registrants. The first dose must be received by August 3 and the second dose by August 31.
Youth 12-17 years of age:
- From August 1 through August 27, 2021, the vaccine contest will offer a weekly drawing for two scholarships of $10,000 each among registrants who have received the first dose, for a total value of $80,000.
- A drawing for 16 scholarships of $20,000 each, for a total value of $320,000, will be held on September 3, 2021, among properly vaccinated individuals ages 12 to 17.
“Since the beginning of this immunization campaign, teams have been stepping up their creativity. The vaccination contest is an initiative that will maximize the vaccination rate in Quebec in all age categories and encourage the administration of the second dose before August 31. It is essential to get your second dose by August 31 by bringing forward your appointment to benefit from optimal protection over the longer term, particularly against variants.”
Christian Dubé, Minister of Health and Social Services
“Since the beginning of the vaccination campaign, the government has made numerous efforts to reach Quebecers and make them aware of the importance of getting vaccinated and receiving the two doses needed for adequate protection quickly. Today, we are adding another tool to stimulate some people who are a little more hesitant to get vaccinated.”
Eric Girard, Minister of Finance
- Detailed rules will be released in the days leading up to the start of registration, scheduled for July 25.
- To participate in the vaccine contest draws, individuals will need to register by visiting the Vaccine Proof Portal.
- To be valid, registration must be completed by 11:59 p.m. the day before the draw. Note, however, that for the final draw on September 3, individuals must have received their second dose of vaccine AND have registered by August 31 at 11:59 p.m.
- All registrants will be eligible for all draws, according to the contest conditions. Eligible persons are those who :
– have received the vaccine in Quebec;
– have a confirmed diagnosis of COVID 19 and received a dose of vaccine;
– have received a vaccine recognized by Health Canada outside Quebec and have had the administration of this vaccine recognized.
- Note that for youth aged 12 to 17, the parent or guardian will register on the portal and consent to the minor’s participation in the scholarship draws. Political staff from the Ministries of Health and Social Services and Finance and Ministers are not eligible for the competition.
- Finally, it should be noted that security mechanisms will be established and that no nominative information on eligible participants will be transmitted to Loto-Québec. The Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux will validate the identity of the winners and contact them to proceed with the delivery of the prizes. The process also includes verification by an external firm.